November 4, 2008

Cambridge Sucks (and other random things...)

In case I haven't mentioned it previously, this blog is officially endorsing Obama in the 2008 Presidential Election. I have become more involved in this election than I've ever been. John McCain and Sarah Palin scare the bejeezus out of me and I took great measures to make sure they aren't elected. I carpooled to New Hampshire two weekends ago to volunteer for the Obama campaign, I made phone calls to voters in the hopes that I could make a difference.

Well, it turns out I can't. After knocking on doors and calling strangers to encourage them to vote. After preaching to friends and family about the importance of voting. After arguing with strangers about how important this election is. After all of this, my vote may not even count.

I woke up early, went running (it was light out thanks to Daylight Savings ending... I know you were worried), showered in record time, and headed down to my polling place. I knew it was my polling place because I had received confirmation of my registration in the mail that listed this as the place. It was only about 12 minutes after the polls had opened, but the line was already out the door. The excitement in the air was palpable and I was so thrilled to be helping to change the world!

But my name wasn't on the list. There was some error in Cambridge that provided polling places with incomplete voter lists and so I was forced to complete what they're calling a "provisional ballot." But it wasn't even that... it was a "partial ballot" and didn't even include all of the races. They took my name and said they'd check to see if I was indeed registered there in order to count my ballot, but I'm not sure how they'll match my name to my ballot once it checks out. I'm outraged and disgusted.

Besides my torment and anguish, things have been great lately. The Head of the Charles took place in October... a great day if you can remember it. Spike and I had a little party where I made boat shaped food and drank too many bloody marys. The next weekend, Spike and I went with the Driscolls to Spooky World at Canobie Lake Park. We went on all the rides, including the Pirate Ship four times (once we were the only ones on it), and went through a haunted house. We were definitely the old people at the party, but we had a great time! Then Spike's friend got married and Spike was in the wedding. He's a pro at it by now, but I don't think he's ever had to pull the aisle runner down before. A tricky task, but he did it with ease. It was a fun time and I think I've finally been forgiven for requesting a vegetarian meal instead of getting the chicken so Spike could have both the beef and chicken. Then came our Halloween party, with tomato soup served in test tubes and grilled cheese cut into ghost and witch hat shapes. Spike was Mike Meyers and I was a Nascar trophy wife, complete with chew and Bud Light. What a couple! Saturday was my father's 60th birthday and so the whole family came into town to celebrate... including a surprise guest from California, my sister! We wandered around the harbor, hit up the Harpoon Brewery, did the Walk to the Sea and had a lovely dinner. It was a busy weekend, but a good time was had by all (I hope...)!

1 comment:

Melissa Sarno said...

I'm sorry you had trouble at the polls but don't sell yourself short- you absolutely DID make a difference by going out there and campaigning. And what amazing results!!!