October 23, 2008

Fall back...

It's so dark in the mornings. I can't stand getting up out of my warm, toasty bed to go out for a run in the black, frigid morning. I know there are only two more weeks until Daylight Savings, but I'm not sure I can wait that long!

I've been complaining about the dark morning runs for awhile now and this morning I had an actual reason to. This morning was the coldest morning so far... it was only 35 degrees. I had my warm clothes on, but to go from a nice warm bed to running in 35 degree darkness in 15 mins. is not fun for anyone.

The first problem was the bike lights. I don't know why bikers, who are riding on a bike path, with no cars allowed, feel the need to blind oncoming "traffic" with their bright lights. I don't want anyone to get hit by a car, but can't they just wear reflective clothing? One biker had both a head light on his bike AND a head lamp on his head! It was ridiculous. I am still seeing spots.

The second problem was the terrain. The bike path tends to have a lot of uneven pavement that can be difficult to navigate, but I'm used to the tricky spots. The real problem this morning was that I almost stepped on a dead fish. Right in the middle of the path. I'm not sure if it was a flying fish that just flew too far or maybe the prey of a bird who decided fish from the Charles just isn't that good. Whatever the case, it was disgusting.

I need daylight and I need it now!

No comments: