June 18, 2012

Blue Devils and Ice Cream Birthdays

I've had some fabulous weekends in the past month.  The weekend following our trip to Long Island was Memorial Day weekend and Spike and I were visited by my dad and David, who came out for the NCAA Lacrosse Championship games at Gilette Stadium.  Despite the weather being unbearably hot and muggy, Dad, David, and I enjoyed a day full of lacrosse.  We cheered on Loyola a they beat Notre Dame, but were sad to see Duke fall to Maryland despite the fact that we were decked out in Blue Devil attire.
The loss meant that Dad and David returned home sooner than they originally planned because they didn't need to stick around for the championship game on Memorial Day.  We were still able to enjoy a fun-filled Sunday in Salem.  After visiting the Visitor Center, we followed the Witch Trail to the graveyard and Witch Trial Memorial, and then continued on to the waterfront, Customs House, and House of Seven Gables.  It was a gorgeous day and a great Memorial Day weekend!
The next weekend started on Thursday, as it was Spike's 35th birthday and we both took Thursday and Friday off to celebrate.  I had been reading about eating tours online, where you go to a certain location known for a certain type of food and hit up a bunch of restaurants that have the best reputation for that food.  Spike loves ice cream, so I figured we would do an eating tour of the best ice cream around Boston.  We started at Cabot's in Newton, which is a fun old-fashioned soda fountain place where Spike got a banana frappe for breakfast.  The sign behind his shoulder says, "It's an ice cream world and you're in the middle of it now.  Wow."  I love it!
The next stop was Kimball Farms in Westford.  We picked up Spike's dad on the way and it was a lovely day for a drive.  It was also a lovely day for some miniature golf, even though Spike beat both me and John soundly!  After we played, it was time for more ice cream!  Spike and John both got orange pineapple and I ordered a coffee flavored milk.  At that point, I was a little sweetened out, so I ordered a clam chowder, after which I was completely dairy-ed out!  Ooo... my tummy.
After dropping John off, we took a little break from the ice cream and ordered some Chinese food for dinner (Spike's other favorite thing... maybe next year a Chinese eating tour?).  The break wasn't for long though as I had made faux fried ice cream as his birthday cake by rolling balls of ice cream in frosted flakes and cinnamon.  The birthday boy said they were delicious even though he probably didn't want to eat them after his day-long ice cream extravaganza!

1 comment:

Melissa Sarno said...

I can't believe you ate that much ice cream! I am extremely impressed.