September 9, 2011

I Carried a Watermelon

The fruits and veggies from our farm share just keep coming. We're still enjoying the fruits of Ward's Berry Farm's labor and are still getting some crazy veggies I don't know what to do with. In the beginning of August, Rose and Aren were in Australia, so we had the responsibility of eating all of the veggies that week. Erin arrived on that Friday to help eat the feast I made, but we left town on Saturday, so Spike was stuck eating most of the bounty.The next week, we were on vacation, so we missed:
-- 1 melon
-- 1 qt. Juliet Tomatoes
-- 2 lbs. Potatoes
-- 1 bunch Beets
-- 2 Green Peppers
-- 8 ears Sweet Corn
-- 2 Jalapeno Peppers


I really miss the corn on the cob now that we're not getting it anymore, and I had been dying for tomatoes, but I was fine with missing the rest!

The third week in August included:
-- 1 melon
-- 1 qt. Juliet Tomatoes
-- 2 lbs. Potatoes
-- 3 Pickling Cucumbers
-- 2 lbs. Summer Squash

-- 3 Japanese Eggplant
-- 1 head Garlic

-- 1 bunch Basil

I was so excited to see tomatoes on the list as I had been waiting all summer for them! They were big, fat, juicy, and delicious. Spike ate the melon, as I'm not a huge fan, and we saved the potatoes, squash, and eggplant for the following week. I made a delicious panzanella salad with the tomatoes, cucumbers, basil, and garlic.

The next week, we got:
-- 1 Melon
-- 3 Peaches
-- 1 lb. Tomatoes
-- 4 Sweet/Frying Peppers
-- 1 pt. Cherry Tomatoes
-- 1 bunch Carrots
-- 1 Kohlrabi
-- 2 lbs. Potatoes
-- 1 bunch Basil

Hooray for peaches! They were so juicy and ripe... yummy! Spike ate the melon and the peppers, and I used the potatoes to make delicious crisps in the oven. We sadly let the kohlrabi and carrots go to waste, but I didn't know what to do with the kohlrabi so it's just as well. I used the squash, tomatoes, and basil to make a delicious pasta primavera. Look at those colors!
September 1st didn't bring much change:
-- 1 Seeded Watermelon
-- 2 lbs. Peaches
-- 2 lbs. Tomatoes

-- 4
Sweet/Frying Peppers
-- 1 lb. Beans

-- 1 bunch Cilantro

The watermelon was HUGE! Rose thankfully cut it in half, so it wasn't too bad to carry over the bridge from BU. Spike chopped it up and even froze some to snack on. The peaches were great again and we made our usual bean salad with the beans. I made pico de gallo with the cilantro, which was really tasty. The highlight of the week though was the giant tomatoes, which I stuffed with rice pilaf and Parmesan. This week, we received:
-- 1 Seeded Watermelon
-- 2 lbs. Tomatoes
-- 6 Mariachi Hot Peppers
-- 1 lb. Beets
-- 2 lbs. Potatoes

The website said we were supposed to get a lot more, including peaches and corn, so I'm not sure what happened there. I just know that I'm pretty excited for watermelons not to be in season anymore!

1 comment:

EM said...

Your post title made me giggle and giggle.