October 25, 2009

Huzzah!

When I was a wee little pickle lover, I traveled with my family to California to visit my aunt and her family. While there we went to a Renaissance Fair to experience all of the good times and revelry we could stand. I don't remember much about it besides the pretty floral wreath my mother bought for my hair, the gigantic boobs on display everywhere, and oh yes, the huge barrel of pickles. I immediately asked for one and when I finished, immediately asked for another. My mother told me no, and as indicated by the fact that it's one of the only things I remember about the fair, I was deeply saddened.
Well this Columbus Day, in honor of Fair Lynn's birthday, Spike and I went with the Monaghans to King Richard's Faire. We had a grand time... there were still floral wreaths for sale, gigantic boobs on display, and not only a huge barrel of pickles, but a pickle man with a pickle cart singing pickle songs! I bought one right away and consumed it along with a yard of beer, which only made it taste better. Despite the beer (and the warm, spiced mead I drank later), I remember a lot more about this fair than the one in California. There were shows with jugglers, strong man competitions (courtesy of Brendan and Spike), Ye Olde Turkey Leg consumption, and of course, the jousting competition. Not only did our knight win the joust, but I got another pickle on the way out. Sorry, Mom!

No comments: