August 9, 2010

I'm Happpy When I'm Hiking

I didn't wait eight more years! Jess and I returned to New Hampshire on Saturday to climb TWO (2) more mountains! This time we drove all the way up to the White Mountains, where we met supreme hikers Amanda and her daughter, Michaela, to conquer Welch and Dickey Mountains. Okay, they were not huge mountains, but they were definitely worth the trip.There were many good things about this hike, the first being that it was a loop. I love loop hikes... there's something so great about not having to retrace my steps. That's one of the reasons I love running by the Charles River. Almost every run is a loop thanks to the bridges and opposite banks of the river. On the one run I do where I have to come back the same way I went out, I run on the opposite side of the road so as not to get annoyed that I've already been there. So this loop was perfect!The second thing that made this hike really great was the exposed trail. The first part of the trail started out in the woods, naturally, but before long, we were hiking on exposed rock, enjoying great views. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, there was a bit of a breeze... it was just a perfect day.There's a part in Last of the Mohicans where Cora gets taken by the bad guys and Daniel Day Lewis has to track them through the woods. This involves running through the forrest, crossing streams, and climbing mountains. Well, this trail looked like it could have been in the movie.... just another thing that made this hike fabulous. There were these amazing sheets of rock we had to climb up and of course, I pretended to run up them just like DDL does in the movie. I may have even yelled "CORAAA!" a few times. They were so steep, but so fun.So then there was the company. Hiking with people who put up with my crazy pace, people who don't mind me re-enacting scenes from Last of the Mohicans, people who are fun to be around, and people who enjoy hiking almost as much as I do is just ridiculously wonderful. I'm so glad I found hiking buddies who don't mind my crazy antics. I haven't hiked as much as I'd like since moving to Boston, but now I hope we can go on many more hikes together!

No comments: