And finally, I learned that this type of food just might give you a stomach ache.
March 24, 2010
Tar Heel
I went to North Carolina last week to visit my Dad and Nan, who moved down there last year when Nan got a teaching position at Duke. These are some things I learned on my trip:
That Duke's campus is gorgeous! It's almost as gorgeous as Cornell, and I only say "almost" because it doesn't have amazing vistas of Cayuga Lake around every corner. But the buildings are beautiful and gothic and the chapel is not so much a chapel as it is a cathedral... just SO gorgeous!
I learned that golf takes practice...



... lots of it (yes, these were all different shots). I also learned that I don't have the patience for playing it, but that I'm very good at driving the cart. Especially when it's a pretty blue cart that says "Duke" on the front.
I learned that they built a new Durham Bulls stadium... the one the movie was filmed in is no longer used. The new stadium is very pretty, but definitely lacking the character of the one in the movie. Or maybe lacking Kevin Costner and Tim Robbins. At least the "Hit the Bull, Get a Steak" bull is still there.
That UNC is nowhere near as pretty as Duke. Also, that if you wear a Duke shirt there, you will get yelled at. Even if it was just an undershirt and you got so hot you had to take off your long sleeve shirt. UNC students don't care about that. They still yell.
That Food Lions in North Carolina might not have a deli, but they do have a Country Ham Center. I'm not sure if that makes up for no deli, but combine that with the fact that they carry Zing Zang Bloody Mary Mix, and they're off to a good start.
I learned that Eno River State Park is a beautiful and fun place to hike. Especially in the early morning, when the sun is just starting to peak over the hills. I also may have learned the difference between a glen and a glade, but I'm going to hold off on my decision until I actually look it up.
That the best part of a lacrosse game is the face-off, where two players get low, close to the ground and butt heads until one of them comes up with the ball. I also learned that sunscreen should be applied to the upper arms when sitting in the warm sun for a few hours. I think I may have already known that, but it was reinforced.
And finally, I learned that this type of food just might give you a stomach ache.
And finally, I learned that this type of food just might give you a stomach ache.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment